The Basic Periodontal Examination (BPE) is a rapid screening tool used for assessing patients. Careful assessment of the periodontal tissues is an essential component of patient management, and the BPE may determine whether an additional examination is needed.
In the UK it is required to be carried out annually on every patient.
The BPE window is a standard rapid screening tool for indicating the level of examination and treatment required.
Accessing the Basic Perio Exam:
Select a patient in the search bar, go to Chart and select Basic Perio
On the left-hand side, you will be able to view the history of previous BPEs conducted on this patient
Creating a new Basic Perio Exam:
To create a new exam:
- Click the blue New BPE button on the left-hand side
- A blank BPE form will be shown on your screen
Note: If you have just opened the BPE, and the patient has never had a BPE before, you will automatically be on the New BPE page, and ready to start the exam
If the patient has had a BPE before, you will automatically be on the most recent exam.
Completing a Basic Perio Exam:
Begin by selecting the provider from the drop-down menu (This should be the provider who is completing the BPE)
Next, fill in the Sextants:
- Click into the sextant box
- Enter in the values as required (Hint: You can type the numbers in on your keyboard)
- For bleeding, type in [b]
- For missing teeth, type in [x]
- OR you can click on each sextant box and select the value from the popup box (screenshot below)
Scroll down the page to fill in the following fields:
- Risk Factors
Note: Use the reset value to unselect a field
Saving an Exam:
To save an exam:
- Click the Finish Exam button at the bottom of the page
Note: To save an exam, you must fill in all sextants with a value and have a provider assigned to the exam.
- Your saved exam will show on the left-hand side, under the New Exam button
If required, you can click on a previously completed exam and edit it
- To save changes after editing an existing BPE, click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the form