As per the NHS, a continuation of treatment applies when a patient returns for a further course of NHS treatment within 2 calendar months (less a day) of the date of completion of the original banded Course of Treatment (CoT), and where the continuation treatment is at the same band or lower and is provided at the same Dental Practice.
Example: The completion date is the 10th May, the two months would end on the 9th July. The same patient requires further treatment which falls within the same charging band or lower and the further treatment is provided under the same provider, no charge may be made in respect of that further treatment. However, the performer will receive the appropriate UDAs for the work carried out.
Note: Continuation wouldn't apply if the previous CoT was either urgent or incomplete
How to submit a new claim as a continuation of treatment
1. Chart the additional treatment, complete it in progress notes, and create a new claim
2. On the Claim, go to the Claim Tab
3. Go down to the 'Other Services' section and tick the box next to 'Further treatment within 2 months'
4. Fill in the rest of the claim details as normal, including contract number, performer number, declarations, etc
5. Click the 'Save' button
6. Click back into the claim, and use the customise field to update the payment to £0
How to submit an existing claim as a continuation of treatment
An alternative to creating a new claim, is to open the previously sent claim, and add the additional treatment to it
1) Chart additional treatment and complete it in the progress notes
2) Add the additional treatment to an existing claim by ticking it
3) Go to the claim tab, and tick the 'further treatment within 2 months' option, under 'other services'
4) Because it is the same band value or lower, the invoice for the additional treatment will be £0. On the charge tab, click the 'invoice' button.
The claim is now ready to send.